Saturday, February 6, 2016

Parenting 101 (A little something I wrote in 2012)

God has laid Student Ministries on my heart during this season of my life.  So when I read material that is in line with this calling, "training a child in the way he should go", I tend to perk up a bit.  I am in the final week of my morning Bible Study "Experiencing God".  You guessed it...the focus was on my role as a parent.  Now I know we are taught not to have expectations of others because God has created us for a specific purpose, genuine originals in the Kingdom.  This is especially true of our children. (I urge you to read Psalm 139:13-17...God is so good!)  I had to take a trip down "memory lane"...a 17 year journey...and look at, no review the many expectations I have heaped upon my children.
So what's my point?  I should not be parenting my children to meet MY expectations.  I should be parenting to the expectations...better yet...the purposes God has for my three children...each created for a different purpose, with differently personalities...God's very own collectibles in the Kingdom placed in my care.  I should be asking my children questions like "What do you think God wants you to do for Him in the future?" or when they come to me for advice (as Blackaby suggests) "What do you think God wants you to do?"  I have to teach my children to seek God not my human, sinful advice that may potentially lead them off the beat and path of where God purposes them.  I should often ask, "What has God taught you lately?", so my children can see God at work in their lives and in the lives of those they come in contact with...to truly have a Godly experience themselves.
My study lists three things that all Christian parents should do to help our children foster a healthy love relationship with our Lord and Savior.
  1. We should pray with and for our children daily.
  2. We should talk to and with them about God's activity in their lives and in the lives as the family as a whole.
  3. We should model for our children by ministering with them.
My big lesson this morning:  I need to pray about the way I parent my blessings and let go of my own expectations and focus more on their walk with God and His purpose for each of them individually.
As my Pastor would say..."The more I know...the more I know I don't know."
Dear most gracious heavenly Father - I come humbly at your feet this morning and ask forgiveness for the expectations I have heaped upon the shoulders of my children, forgive me for putting my purposes ahead of  your own...essentially playing God and thinking I know more than you.   Forgive my disobedience and lack of maturity in regards to parenting.  Help me to see the individual uniqueness in each of my children, help me to discern your will for each of their lives and finally, give me the wisdom and knowledge to go forward..bringing them up in your love and admonition.  I claim this prayer in the name of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments: